Why Instagram apps?
No matter what you’ve snapped, whether it’s a selfie taken near the Barton Springs Pool, a casual get-together pictured at your local coffee shop, or a family picture shot at Missouri Botanical Garden, Instagram apps let you edit your pics and make them look stunningly beautiful. Not to worry, you don’t need to learn professional photography, because these are do-it-yourself apps that can be easily understood and used by any amateur user. So, what are you waiting for? Now is your turn to record hordes of videos and pictures, tweak them using special effects and create an everlasting impression on your target audiences’ minds.
With more than 200 million users worldwide, Instagram has snuggled itself as one of the top-ranking social media sites in the world. So, there is no better place for photo freaks like you to share videos and pictures.
Just read on, because we’ve compiled a list of top 10 must-have Instagram apps that can help transform your everyday moments into virtual works of arts while you are on the go. We shared you the top tricks to attract more likes and followers on Instagram to became famous on your communities.
01. VSCO Cam
First on our list is VSCO Cam. The app was launched as a paid service, but has been offered free since last year. Available for iPhone and Android, VSCO Cam boasts a barrage of filters most of which are free of cost.
Editing with VSCO Cam
Most people like VSCO Cam for its hassle-free editing options. The one-touch editing tools offered by most other apps often end up being over-edited or vice versa, but this intuitive app lets you fine-tune your images with a lot of control. The editing section featurese ssential tools such as highlight, brightness, sharpness, saturation, crop, contrast, rotate, shadows, and more.
Editing and syncing your images in your handheld devices isn’t a tough task anymore. Just a couple of taps are what you need to add mesmerizing effects to your photos. Special options such as temperature, fade, exposure, and vignette can help redefine the look of your photo. However, novice users will have to spend some time to understand the icons that represent each tool. Tap on the rectangle icon to tweak the picture saturation or hit the triangular icon to enhance your photo’s sharpness.
You can get more than 40 filters from the app store.
Use additional tools such as temperature, cropping, and exposure to enhance the visibility of your images.
VSCO Cam’s superior preset options are a great way to add a stylish touch to your photos. All you need to do is purchase any of the built-in presets from VSCO Cam store (free and paid versions are available). Whether you love to see your pictures in black-and-white or rainbow colors, just run the presets on your photos – you will see what you want.
Before and After
After you’ve made corrections, just hold the image in the edit view. This way, you can compare your original and edited version and identify the impact on your photos.
Post your images
iOS features missing on Android devices
Due to device limitations, certain features that are available on the iOS version are not found on Android devices. They are:
- White Balance Lock
- Exposure Tool and Split Focus
- Low memory/storage alert
Available for: Android and iOS enabled devices
iPhone Users : https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/vsco-cam/id588013838?mt=8
Android Users : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vsco.cam&hl=en
VSCO Cam is great in whatever it offers, however, it is restricted only to iPhone and Android devices. If you’re looking for a universal photo editor, available for iPhones, Android phones, and iPads, then Snapseed is a compelling choice. A leader in the field of digital photography, Snapseed makes it possible to enhance and transform the look of your photos with an unbelievable level of control.
Snapseed for Android:
How to edit your photos using Snapseed
The app comes with a pretty simple interface, so it’s easy to swap between tools. Just add your selected photos and swipe Northwards or Southwards, you’ll see editing tools such as brightness, saturation, contrast, etc. Select your preferred option and swipe to the right to increase or left to decrease its value. You’re done editing. Similarly, you can use the other tools as well.
Tip: If you’re editing something like a landscape photo, try rotating your phone so that you can get maximum screen space.
Features of Snapseed
Editing with Snapseed is all about creating high quality images with a lot of fun. The intuitive app boasts features such as:
- One-touch photo editing option using Auto Correct – Just tap on the picture to auto correct your picture.
- Crop Discard the unessential parts and choose only the particular area or object in the image which you prefer to edit.
- Tune Image Tweak your picture using one-tap features such as brightness, contrast, saturation, etc. to give it a more defined look.
- Rotate Tilt or rotate your image by the pre-set controls to move it clockwise or anticlockwise.
- Advanced filter options Snapseed comes with advanced filter options such as Vintage, Tilt-shift, Rettolux, Grunge and more. The best part about Snapseed’s filter option is that, you can not only apply the filters one by one on your photo but also tweak the settings of each filter. This means, two people can edit a photo using Snapseed filters and come out with completely different outputs in each case.
- Selective adjust to make changes only to a particular area or object in your photo – A good example of this would be a picture of a man holding an umbrella in which you change the color of the umbrella to that of blue and white and the other areas in the photo appear in faded black and white.
- Add borders No picture is complete without a border. Give the much required finishing touch to your images by choosing from the gallery of built-in borders featured in Snapseed. Share your pictures with fellow members on Instagram and get appreciated for your good work.
Selective adjust using Snapseed
While novice users might fall in love with the above-mentioned features, professionals might look for something more – to tweak their camera-snapped pictures. Here are a few additional enhancements that could give a much more professional look to your photos:
Make use of the Selective adjustment feature of Snapseed to highlight or remove specific areas or objects in your image.
Additional enhancements – for the creative heads
- Black and White Use Black & White special filter and give your images an old-style classic look, which will inspire the old as well as forward-thinking generation.
- Grunge Highlight the hidden layers in your images using this filter.
- Vintage Use the Vintage filter on your photos and bring back the 60’s and 70’s touch.
- Drama Give a dramatic touch to your photos using this special custom effect.
- Retrolux Scratch the image either upwards or downwards, and you’ll find a menu that prompts you to add light leaks, scratches, style, strength, saturation, film styles and more to your photos.
- Center Focus Draw more focus to the center of your image by blurring or dimming its surrounding areas and objects.
- Tilt-Shift Give a deep focus to the most important area or object in your photo, and create a stylish miniature effect, which most professionals do.
- Frames Give the much needed finishing touch to your images with stylish borders.
Fine-tune your photos in just a single tap:
VSCO Cam has more tools than Snapseed, but the latter dwarfs the former in terms of ease of usability and advanced functionalities. As a matter of fact, Snapseed is one of those apps which you will want to use on your handheld devices every day.
Available for: Android 4.0 and above, iPhones, and iPads
Android Users : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.niksoftware.snapseed
iOS Users : https://itunes.apple.com/EN/app/snapseed/id439438619?mt=8
03. Adobe Lightroom
Adobe’s Lightroom, one of the most robust photo-editing software for the desktop, didn’t transform all its powerful features when it launched its mobile-friendly app, however, it has done its best in sharing the same benefits across all iPad and iPhone platforms. There is a barrage of filters, lightning and color adjustments to make photo editing an enjoyable experience.
One of the most impressive things about this app is its newly launched RAW image editing option – it’s something most other photo editing apps haven’t managed to stumble upon.
The Lightroom sync is wonderful because you can pick up an on-going editing task from your computer to mobile device and continue from where you left off. Add special effects, filters, borders, adjust brightness and explore tons of other features available on this app.
Sign in with your Adobe ID and enjoy up to 2GB Cloud Storage in your free account. Also, you can enjoy a no-obligation Creative Cloud free trial for up to 30 days. However, a subscription for $49.99 gives you complete access to a slew of features in Lightroom desktop and mobile version. You will have to download the latest version of Lightroom (Lightroom 5.5) to enjoy working with D-SLR shots.
Adobe Lightroom for iPad sports a super simple interface – it’s smooth, easy to navigate and makes multi-touch gestures very simple.
- Edit and organize photos while you are on the go
- Effortless sync between desktop and mobile devices
- Edit DSLRs raw images as well as smartphone images
- Healing brush to get rid of any flaws or defects in images
- Make your own HD slideshow encompassing music, images, and videos
- Use the gradient tool to create your preferred vignette effects
- Edit and share images from Lightroom to Instagram
- View your uploaded photos on lighttoom.adobe.com
Before we conclude, let us quickly recap the pros and cons:
- Sophisticated interface
- Multi-touch gestures
- Syncs with desktop and mobile version
- Lets you import pictures from the camera
- Built-in web gallery
- Dependant on desktop import to access images
- Requires subscription to Creative Cloud
- Lack of essential effects such as noise correction, curves, color coding, and chromatic aberration
- No keyword tagging
The Verdict We would say that the app’s ability to sync desktop and mobile is appreciable. However, the app is not the best when it comes to applying special effects. : Yet, you may consider using it for the sake of its ease of usability and desktop-mobile sync ability.
Available for: iPhones and ipads
Instagram is a fun way to share some great moments. In addition to being one of the leading social networking sites, Instagram is also a handy photo and video sharing app available for Android, iPhones, and Windows Phones. The designers have made a point that this app should be one that even amateur users can play with. However, on the flip side, the lack of advanced features makes it less ideal for professional photographers.
Features of Instagram app include custom-made filters, limitless uploads, instant sharing on social networks, photo tagging, front and rear end camera support, and more.
Instagram app boasts a cool user-friendly interface, and it’s unbelievably easy to use. You will find icons for various features like profile settings, photo capture, photo feed, news feed, and photo search. It’s easy to get them in Tile view, so that you can toggle between icons.
Even as a novice user, you will find that the interface of Instagram app is one of the least complicated you can ever see. There is very little to get confused when you already get automatic photo feeds and view likes and comments for your respective images. Best of all, applying filters or special effects to your photos is a matter of a couple of gentle taps on your screen. And you have pretty straight forward options to preview your photos as well.
- People tab – it lets you find interesting people on the social networking site
- Typeahead – makes searching faster and gives results instantly
- Option to change locations and edit your text captions
- Updated profile icons
- Instant photo sharing on the app’s social networking site
- Limitless photo uploads
- Custom-made filters
- Send your edited images to friends
- Tilt-blur effects
The strong points of the Instagram app include photo editing, tagging friends, geo tagging, and simple photo sharing. However, one minor drawback could be that it requires sign-up (not a real drawback though!).
Instagram is a no-hassle photo editing app, but if you are looking to edit complex images, let’s say, black and white, then it’s better to check the other apps in our list as well.
Available for: Android, Iphones and Windows phones
Android Users : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.instagram.android&hl=en
iPhone Users : https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/instagram/id389801252?mt=8
Windows Phone Users : http://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/store/app/instagram-beta/3222a126-7f20-4273-ab4a-161120b21aea
05. Pixlr Express
Autodesk’s Pixlr Express is an exceptional image editing app for Instagram. The impressive photo editor allows you to easily remove unwanted elements in your photos, get rid of something like, say a flash burning portion, then crop, tweak, and resize your photos. Photo retouching is quick with just a few gentle taps on the icons, and there are some special effects such as sketch, pencil, poster and more to help enhance the look of your photos.
Even if you a first-time photo editor, you will feel like a pro while editing with Pixlr Express. Listed below are some of the key features of Pixlr Express:
- Crop, resize, rotate and fine-tune images effortlessly as you save and share them
- Apply cosmetic effects such as teeth whitening, blemish removal, and red-eye removal using simple tools
- Lightning effects such as grunge, drama, and sparkle to give an emotional feel to your photos
- Auto-fix option to instantly fine-tune your photos; color adjustment options to brighten up a dull photo or fade a bright photo
- Four built-in dimensions for quick image editing and resizing
- Color adjustment tools such as Color splash, brightness, contrast, and saturation to enhance targeted areas in your images
- Editing options to improvise the layout, spacing and background of your pictures
- Additional effects such as de-noise and focal blur to make your photos look even more interesting
- An expansive array of special effects such as overlays and borders to give a finishing touch to your photos
- Overlays help change the mood of the photo. You can add surreal shades, arrows, or ameliorate the tone of your photo
- Drawing tools like watercolor or halftone to enhance the style of your photos
- Easy-to-share options to upload your photos directly on Instagram. For later use, you can simply choose to save it in your virtual photo library.
Simple editing using Pixlr Express
It’s, for sure, one of the apps you just can’t do without. There are hordes of other tools to choose from and lots of special effects to apply.
All in all, Pixlr Express is a brilliant photo editor, and is one of the few apps that can meet the needs of novice and professional photographers.
Available for: Android and iOS enabled devices
Android Users : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pixlr.express&hl=en
iOS Users : https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pixlr-express-photo-editing/id526783584?mt=8
Flickr, as a social networking site, may have lost the battle to Instagram, but as a photo editing app, it has got every reason to outflank its competitor. From advanced photo editing tools to high quality filters, the app offers everything to make photo editing more a fun-filled experience.
Flickr sports an enhanced interface, which pretty much reminds us of its revamped website. It’s good though! The dark background ensures that the photos in question grab our attention at first glance. Also, there is a search box at the top, which lets you search for photos from tags, groups or specific users.
Interactive Photo shooting
Snapping photos with Flickr is really fun, because, unlike Instagrm, this app shows real-time filters while you are still shooting a picture. That means, you can apply filters real time even as you shoot a photo. Also, you can set the vignette, tilt-shift, apply color-burst and cosmetic effects with ease. In addition to this, you also have the regular one-tap tools such as color, brightness, exposure, saturation etc. So, Flickr has got you covered! However, if you’re lazy to toggle between tools, you can simply opt for the auto-adjust option, which does a dandy job of enhancing the look of your photos with its built-in auto effects.
The usual features such as cropping, rotating, and straightening are good. Another cool surprise package is the adjustable histogram (not the static histogram which is present in Lightroom), which adds more precision to your photos (you’ll need to try it to see the difference).
The thing with Instagram app is that, you will have to save photos only in their original resolution. That could be a drawback, because sometimes you don’t get the same quality. Flickr overcomes this issue as it lets you save photos in their original sizes. So your family members and friends can download your images as it was uploaded, and thus view them in uncompromised clarity. Best of all, Flickr privacy settings let you control who should download your photos. And yeah, this is a great option, particularly for teenage girls because no stranger can download your photos.
High Quality Filters
Flickr offers high quality filters to add more variety to your photo editing experience. It provides as many features and benefits as Instagram app, if not more. Furthermore, the Flickr interface is more user-friendly and makes photo editing a less time-consuming task.
Pros: 1000 GB (1 Tera byte) of photo storage space
Cons: The absence of AirDrop or AirPlay support is a drawback of Flickr app. Unlike Instagram app, Flickr is not the best network for photo sharing.
Available for: iPhone, Android, Windows Phone
iPhone Users : https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/flickr-upload-edit-share-your/id328407587?mt=8
Android Users : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.yahoo.mobile.client.android.flickr&hl=en
Windows Phone Users : http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/flickr/2e49fb07-592b-e011-854c-00237de2db9e
07. Aviary Photo Editor
Photo Editor by Aviary is a freaking wonderful app for Windows Phone Users.The reason why it’s there in our top 10 list is simply because it is better, smarter, and more detailed than most of the other apps available for Instagram. It includes most of the features included in the other apps yet it’s a lot more simple and fun to work with.
You can apply multiple filters and special effects to your photos at once and create surreal images with ease. You can use the easy-to-use text & drawing tools, custom-made stickers, and add unimaginable effects to your photos. Or access the must-have tools such as crop, rotate and image straightening to tweak your photos the way you want it to be.
Aviary Photo Editor pretty much meets all of your photo editing needs. However, on the flip side, it’s not really recommended for serious photo editors because of the absence of some advanced features, but the casual users will just love editing with this app.
Talking about features, Aviary Photo Editor includes some of the most essential elements which any novice user would go crazy about. Yep, it includes One-touch auto enhance, Text and drawing tools, custom meme creation, Color Splash, Custom made stickers, Color balance, Color temperature, Focus (Tilt Shift), a range of special effects including crop, rotate, and image straightening, an array of built-in frames, crop, rotate, Sharpen and blur, adjustment in color, brightness, saturation, temperature etc. Also, there are cosmetic tools to whiten teeth, remove blemishes and facial marks, and fix red eye issues.
Perhaps, a couple or more features might need a special mention:
Vignettes – No matter what your choice is, whether you want to place a dim or bright vignette on your photos, Aviary Photo Editor makes it possible to do all of that. Do not hesitate to set the intensity, shape, and size.
Enhanced photo adjustments – Aviary Photo Editor includes super simple photo adjustment options such as Fade, Highlight, Tint, and Shadows so you have more freedom to manipulate your gorgeous photos.
Drawing Brush – iOS users, in particular, can’t afford to miss this feature. The app has enhanced its drawing tool using re-built brush technology so it makes your pictures look more natural and elegant.
Overlays – Use overlays such as stickers, stencils, and frames to make your pictures even more interesting.
In addition to these, the app also offers auto-saving option and crop tool presets to enhance your photo editing experience. The app provides 12 effects for free, however, if you need more, you should purchase.
To delete photos or view options, all you need to do is a long-press on your photo from your handheld device. On the other hand, you can simply customize the toolset by using the drag-drop feature.
All in all, if you’re looking for an easy-to-use app to edit your photos while you are on the go, then Aviary Photo Editor is a great choice.
Available for:Android, iOS, and Windows Phones
Android Users : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aviary.android.feather&hl=en
iOS Users : https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/photo-editor-by-aviary/id527445936?mt=8
Windows Phone Users : http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/app/photo-editor/cdd22d88-c0c4-4fff-a741-fe5ea3692b22
Repix isn’t much different from most of the other Instagram photo editing apps out there. However, an honest confession is that, there is something special about this app that makes you feel a lot more comfortable. It’s simple, comes with a seemingly user-friendly interface and helps you turn your everyday pictures turn into tidy works of art. It’s available across all Android and iOS platforms.
Using Repix shouldn’t be a problem – you’ve got a bunch of tools readily available at your fingertips. Use the brushes to edit your wonderful snaps, add enticing visual effects, and apply borders to give a finishing touch to your photo – do it all in real-time.
One main reason why you’ll love Repix is simply because it gives you the creative editing tools that you love to edit your photos with. It’s easy to use, so you can edit and save your work as quickly as 1-2-3.
You can enjoy a wealth of Repix features free of cost, however, if you are looking for the best of Repix photo editing experience, then you may consider upgrading to their paid service.
30+ built-in tools
Just tap on any of the 30+ built-in tools, and edit your photos at the gentle push of a button.There are hordes of options – brightness, color, saturation, artistic brushes, animation effects, and lots more. So, adding a unique touch to your photos is easy like never before. In addition to the basic tools, there are some high-end features such as posterize, flares etc.
Filters, frames, and crop presets
Repix is much loved for its simplicity and cool range of features. You have, at your disposal, a list of 16 custom built filters, 17 beautiful frames, and cropping tools consisting of 5 presets. And yeah, smooth adjustment tools that let you fine-tune your photos according to your wish. So, you’ve got all that you need to bring the best out of your pictures. What’s more, the zero-friction interface of Repix makes it possible to swap between tools almost effortlessly.
If you are a Samsung user, you’ll love the Air View technology in Repix. The feature can be easily accessed from Samsung’s Galaxy Note S-Pen and Galaxy S 4.
There you have it. These are some of the features which underline the fact that Repix is one of the most complete photo sharing apps for Instagram. It’s all about bringing your creative side out, and editing with a lot of fun and excitement. And Repix is a great app that lets you do that.
Available for: iPhone, Android, Windows Phone
Android Users : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=it.repix.android&hl=en
iOS Users : https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/repix-inspiring-photo-editor/id597830453?mt=8
Litely doesn’t boast that many features as Repix, but if you are looking for a minimalist photo editing app, look no further than this one.
It is one of the top rated apps in the App Store, and is already the most preferred app in the Photo and Video category, just a few months into its release. It has the goodness of Apple’s OS: it’s simple, sophisticated, and delivers excellent results.
Know the creative head behind this app
Litely was developed by Cole Rise, a professional photographer who photographed hordes of stunning travel and nature pictures for NGC, and big names such as Google and Apple. He was also one of the chief designers for Willow, Sierra, Amaro, Mayfair, Hudson, and Rise Instagram-filters.
If you are a first time user, you will need to know three things – swipe upwards and downwards to apply filter effects, swipe right and left to adjust the intensity, and double-finger swipe to see the “before and after” effects. At the bottom of the screen, you will have your everyday tools such as vignette, exposure, crop, control etc. You can edit either a photo taken previously or one taken on the spot.
What is special about this app?
- the creative design of this app
- quality of filters and preset adjustments
Features Presets and Filters
Litely lets you play with a wide range of photo presets. Taking cool snaps and adding cinematic effects isn’t a tough ask with this app. The filters, one of the most interesting features of Litely, are inspired by an array of themes that carry suitable names. For instance, an earthy tone is called “Origins” (perhaps, relating to the fact that earth is the origin of lives), black-and-white effects are called “Cinder”, and Venice beach-inspired tones are named “Venice” and so on. It’s fun all the way!
Nature-like filter effects
If you are fond of filters, in particular, there is no way that you are going to give this app a miss. The point is, unlike the filters of most other Instagram apps, Litely offers subtle effects that add more life to your photos. Today, most of the photos in Instagram are like “Oh, you have used filters right here.” As a user, you’ve gone crazy seeing those over-saturated effects. Litely lets you overcome that. Now, you can add lifelike effects in a much more controlled manner. If you apply faded filters, you will only see faded effects, and same is the case with lets say a warmer or brighter effect.
Litely also lets you perform your favorite editing tasks such as cropping, rotating and adjust color, brightness, saturation, sharpness, exposure, contract etc. with ease. Once you’re done editing, do a two-finger swipe on your screen and you’ll be able to view the “before and after” effects in your photos. Litely takes a cue from iPhone’s gyroscope, so you can enjoy gigantic views of your photos. Want inspiration? Explore the countless photos posted by users on Litely, which you can readily access. In a nutshell, photo filtering with Litely is as simple as making a few gentle taps and tweaking your images using the available tools. Lightly is light and ideal for amateur users.
Available for: IOS enabled device
iOS Users : https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/litely/id850707754?mt=8
10. Photo Studio
Photo Studio is one of the few image processing apps available for BlackBerry 10. It comes with fewer features when compared to most of its counterparts, but provides a good number of editing options. With Photo Studio, you have multiple options to apply special effects, colors, texts, filters and so on without too much hassle.
Photo Studio is a mini photo studio by itself. Take a look at some of the key features of the app:
- More than 200 special effects – it includes user favorites such as fire, shadow, light, water, noise, frames, brush, and much more.
- 150+ built-in filters – the list includes some of the most sought-after filters such as Vintage, Art, Warm tones, Simple tones, Summer mood, Old Style, and Lomo.
- Color splash – lets you increase or decrease the color of your snaps. With the recolor tool, you can add a new shade of color to the existing ones.
- Magic tool – it’s a powerhouse of advanced tools such as Blurring, Sharpening, Red eye correction, and Area auto-levels.
- Photo enhancement tools such as brightness, color, saturation, contrast, hue etc.
- Easy-to-edit text labels – to add short descriptions of your photos
- Clone Stamp tool –It’s one of the must-have tools for photo editors. It lets you choose and reproduce your favorite areas in an image.
- Lens Boost – lets you create tilt-shift effects
- A gallery consisting of exceptional photos
- 50+ free stickers and 1000+ premium stickers consisting of tempting icons from a range of categories encompassing food, romance, animals and more.
- Basic operations – of course, you have the simple do-it-yourself tools to crop, rotate, and resize images.
- 100+ customizable templates so that you can choose the most suitable frames for your images from a wide range of categories.
- Beautiful frames designed for various festivals and occasions such as Valentine’s day, Christmas, and New Year.
- Once you’re done editing, you can save your images in PNG or JPEG formats and see the result.
Though you can find most of what you want, one sticking point from Photo Studio is that it doesn’t feature most of the advanced editing tools like the other apps. It’s good for the normal users, but not recommended for professional photographers.
Available for: Blackberry 10, Android
Android Users : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kvadgroup.photostudio&hl=en
Blackberry Users : https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/50941/?countrycode=IN&lang=en
Anybody can create great photos using these apps and share on social networking sites. These are our top 10 must-have photo editing apps for Instagram.